Dear Jonny, I Think You’re A Sociopath…
As a mental healthcare worker I think it’s fairly obvious that you’re a sociopath. What do you have to say about that?
Well, let’s take a look at Dr. Hare’s sociopathic traits checklist (retrieved from http://www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm) – the yardstick by which the anti-social are measured.
1. GLIB and SUPERFICIAL CHARM — I’m verbally facile, confident, and as smooth and slick as I want to be.
2. GRANDIOSE SELF-WORTH — Both the name and nature of my website reflect this characteristic.
3. NEED FOR STIMULATION or PRONENESS TO BOREDOM — I bore easily without thrills and crave adrenaline.
4. PATHOLOGICAL LYING — To girlfriends and parents.
5. CONNING AND MANIPULATIVENESS— I know how to get what I want.
6. LACK OF REMORSE OR GUILT — Who has time for feeling guilty?
7. SHALLOW AFFECT — I’m emotionally inaccessible.
8. CALLOUSNESS and LACK OF EMPATHY — Empathy is for the touchy-feely.
9. PARASITIC LIFESTYLE — People should pay for my company.
10. POOR BEHAVIORAL CONTROLS — I’ve been known to punch a few holes in the wall.
11. PROMISCUOUS SEXUAL BEHAVIOR — Networking is important.
12. EARLY BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS — A quote from my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Wilson: “Jon, do you ENJOY hurting people?”
13. LACK OF REALISTIC, LONG-TERM GOALS — Plans fail.
14. IMPULSIVITY — Better than predictability.
15. IRRESPONSIBILITY — It’s hard to grow up.
16. FAILURE TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR OWN ACTIONS — There are always outside forces to blame.
17. MANY SHORT-TERM MARITAL RELATIONSHIPS — As long as there aren’t any pre-nups.
18. JUVENILE DELINQUENCY — Slashing old ladies’ tires was fun.
19. REVOCATION OF CONDITION RELEASE — The law is crooked.
20. CRIMINAL VERSATILITY — Versatility is evolution.
I’d say you’ve got me pegged, “Dr.” Anna.