Dear Jonny, Insanity?
What’s the most insane thing you’ve ever seen a person do?
It’s almost impossible to single out one specific event, but here are five contenders:
1) Once, on a camping trip, I saw a man drink a fifth of vodka on top of half a case of beer, then, suddenly and without warning, dart through the woods to the edge of a bluff, where, during a fantastic midnight thunderstorm, he jumped 110 feet into the rain-swollen lake below.
2) I saw a man, on an impromptu fifty dollar bet, eat an entire bag of lime green, mold-coated potato chips that had been inside the sun-baked trunk of a wrecked car for more than a decade.
3) I saw a collection of voodoo dolls a woman had painstakingly sewn and crafted to resemble each of her four former husbands. “Even though two of them are dead,” she said, “I still stick them with pins, just in case they can feel the pain in hell.”
4) I once saw a man spiral into a deep depression that led to him taking his own life, because his drop dead gorgeous/multi-millionaire wife refused to increase his allowance to twenty grand a month.
5) At a Tennessee bbq, I saw an obviously coked-out woman use half a straw to snort eight live fire ants to win the last bottle of Jim Beam.